Henryk Sienkiewicz Primary School no. 5 in Dąbrowa Górnicza
It is primary school located in Dąbrowa Górnicza, a town in the South-East of Poland. It is rather an industrial region with many factories, coal mines and foundries. There are about 300 pupils in the school. Our children learn English as an obligatory foreign language and also French as an additional language. They are open-minded, active and willing to do all kinds of sports. We are very proud of our sports complex, especially an Olympic swimming pool. Our pupils are good swimmers and they take part in different competitions connected with this discipline of sport. They are awarded many local and internal prizes.
The social level in our school is rather high.
However we can find some students who need our special attention, for example,
many pupils come from a one-parent-family, the others have problems with paying their bills, many pupils have educational or social problems. Teachers and parents of our school aim that our children progress into:
- responsible young citizens of Poland, Europe and the world,
- flexible young men and women who can study throughout their lives and make progress together with new technologies,
- young people who don’t fear strangers but who like to co-operate with all men to make the world a better place for all to live,
- men respecting life and ideas of everyone, especially disabled people,
- young people who can search for and find a solution for every problem that comes across their lives,
- young people who can find their way of life in the new world.
There are some pupils with special needs in our school. These pupils have got separated opinions of psychologist and according to them the teachers have to fit the right methods and forms of working in. Additionally, two children are suffer from cerebral palsy (CP). Cerebral palsy is caused by damage to the motor control centers of the developing brain and can occur during pregnancy, during childbirth, or after birth up to about age three. Our mentioned pupils are twin boys at the age of 10 and especially for them the individual teaching course has been prepared. We also cooperate with the most modern centre for disabled children in Poland situated in our town. We can participate in many activities and projects and thanks to them our awareness and positive attitude towards disabled people are rising. In our school many extra classes are organized for the pupils with educational and social problems. The extra classes give them a chance to improve their marks and catch up on knowledge.